You are here: Home > Sichuan Guide > Sichuan Cities > Litang County > Sichuan Attractions > Renkang House

               

Renkang House

litang horse racing festival
panda keeper volunteer program
Your Questions

Renkang House Introduction

It is said that Dalai VII was born here. On that very day of his birth, the rainbow arched across the sky, a number of birds contended in singing, Galsang flowers burst into bloom, the columns in the corral were stained with milk and the cornerstones under the columns naturally showed propitious Tibetan words such as “嘎(Ga)” and the patterns of Esoteric Buddhism instruments such as vajry pestle. Dalai VII came into this world with a unique appearance: a tattoo like a lotus on the right arm and a tattoo like a Dharma-cakra on the left hand. He began to debate Buddhist Scriptures at the age of 7; In 1716, he was taken to Taer Monastery in Qinghai with the decree issued by the Emperor Kang Xi; in 1710, he came to Tibet, formally canonized as Dalai VII and enthroned in the Potala Palace; in 1728, he was dispatched to Huiyuan Monastery in Kham Region (Bamei Town in Daofu County) by the Qing Government, and came back to Lhasa again in 1735.

Renkang House 

This house was constructed in the middle of the 16th Century, and is one of the two oldest houses in Litang, with the other one called Mangkang House (No. 139, Chema Village). The house was formerly called Axijia, and renamed as “Renkang (means “bedroom” in Tibetan Language) House” for the birth of Dalai VII. The walls of the house are constructed with the mixture of earth and gravels, about 2 meters thick. Through 500 years’ wind and rain, the walls have been pitted with bumps and hollows like the naturally-occurring cliffs, totally different from the walls of today’s houses in Litang. Like ordinary houses, Renkang House is a two-story building. On the first floor where Dalai VII was born, there is a corral, with believers’ hadas tied on the ropes as well as visible milk stains on the columns and mysterious manifestations on the cornerstones. It is said that such manifestations once disappeared, but reappeared when Panchen Lama came here for consecration in 1986. On the second floor, Dalai VII’s self-statue (with naturally occurring Tibetan word “Ga 嘎” on the forehead) is displayed in the scripture hall, and the original bedroom has been changed to exhibition hall, displaying many precious cultural relics such as the Buddhist scriptures in golden and small drum once used by Dalai VII, and the blue-glaze double-dragon porcelain bottles presented by the Emperor Qianlong, etc.

Renkang House

There is a saying in Litang that, if one pilgrim prostrading to Lhasa but failed to visit the Renkang House, then the pilgrimage is not complete.

    Other Popular Sichuan Attractions
  • Chengdu Panda Base

    Chengdu Panda Base is the nearest one to downtown with the most panda population t, it’s only 8 kilometers away from the city enter.
  • Wolong Shenshuping Panda Base

    Wolong Shenshuping Panda Base (China Giant Panda Garden) is a new panda base built hidden into the Wolong Nature Reserve. It is only 22km from the old one that was damaged during the earthquake.
  • Dujiangyan Irrigation Project

    Dujiangyan Irrigation Project is world’s only no-dam water works, it was built nearly 2300 years ago and still functions well today; it is a World Heritage Site by UNESCO
  • The First Bend of the Yellow River

    The First Bend of the Yellow River is located in Tangke Township, Zoige County, the junction area of Sichuan, Qinghai and Gansu provinces. It lies 68 km away from the county of Zoige, more than 500 kilometers away from the city of Chengdu.
  • Sanxingdui Ruins Museum

    Chengdu Sanxingdui Ruins is termed "the ninth wonder of the world" and acknowledged by many scholars as one of the greatest archaeological finds ever to be unearthed.
  • Jinli Ancient Street

    Jinli Ancient Street is the famous commerce pedestrian street of Chengdu. It is recorded to be one of the oldest streets with the most commercial characters in the history of west Sichuan.